The Boat Building Academy Bursary Scheme
- You can apply for a bursary for all courses at the Boat Building Academy, from 1 day to 40-weeks. Awards will be dependent on being offered a place and a successful bursary interview.
- The newly introduced bursary for Women is looking to financially assist female students in Boat Building and furniture making and also help extinguish the stigma around women in practical skills industries such as boat building or woodworking.
The BBA aims to financially assist those who would not otherwise be able to fund the training by awarding bursaries.
To be eligible for the BBA Bursary you must:
- Be a British Citizen
- have been offered a place on any of our courses
Overview of the bursary application process:
- Download the bursary application form below, complete it and email it to our office before the deadline.
- If your application meets the eligible criteria, you will be interviewed by the Director and at least one other Trustee. This will take place via video conference.
- The trustees will then decide whether to award a bursary and what amount will be awarded.
- We would normally offer bursary awards of up to a maximum of 50% of the course fee but in exceptional circumstances we will offer 100% of the course fee.
In 2020, the Boat Building Academy was granted charity status, fulfilling the long-held ambition to create the BBA Bursary scheme to be able to help the next generation of men and women builders, who would otherwise be unable to fund their training at the Academy. The number of awarded bursaries in each financial year, as well as levels of funding available, will impact whether applications are successful; or what amounts are awarded to each applicant.
BBA Bursary for Women
On February 2023, we implemented the BBA Bursary for Women. A bursary scheme exclusively for women, aiming to proactively affirm that women are not only welcomed but wanted in the industry. The aim is for the bursary to facilitate access to high-level training and for women to be recognised for career development opportunities.
In 2020, the Boat Building Academy was granted charity status, fulfilling the long-held ambition to create the BBA Bursary scheme to be able to help the next generation of men and women builders, who would otherwise be unable to fund their training at the Academy.
BBA Bursary for locals
Bursary schemes exclusively for locals of Lyme Regis and also for Dorset. You can apply for any of our course from 1-day to 40-weeks.
- 3-day beginners woodwork 2024 – half price for locals